Tuesday 13 May 2008

Localisation

Last year Geoff and I started doing something different. Well a lot of things really. It sort of germinated in us for a while and then I read a book I'd had on the shelf for some time but wasn't ready for.

Shopped, by Joanna Blythman.

It spurred me into action.

We stopped using our local Tesco supermarket, we stopped using all large supermarkets. In fact, we stopped using a supermarket at all for a time.

This was no small task and not easy.

First we couldn't think where to go to get things from in the first place if we didn't go there. Thoughts like 'well, I know that the butcher would sell meat if we had one in the town, but who traditionally sells bun cases?' were common (we ate cake instead and didn't complain, at least we had the means to make cakes).

There were a lot of questions in this process and I'd like to write about them... but it's late so it'll have to wait until later...

No comments: